Me at the Pen 2010

Me at the Pen 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Vegan Moi?

Answer: Vegan manifesto. Me? I’m not sure. Maybe my mind wandered in that direction. Yes, lately I have been thinking about my diet. I tend to believe that it is more animalistic to eat meat that . . . “animalistic” is not the word I want . . . I think that if we devolve to a more primitive state we might tend to eat more meat. Look carefully at the list as I wrote it, the order of the animals. The list begins with animals that usually are eaten for food, then it goes beyond the usual, taking in dangerous beasts as well as vermin and those we consider pets. Finally, it ends out of desperation with cannibalism. Vegan manifesto. Me? I’m not sure. The mans in the novel are herbivores and they do inherit the earth, I guess. I still eat meat, though not as much as I used to, and when I do, I think about the animal that gave its life for my meal. Does that count? At some point I am certain that I will give up eating meat entirely, though mostly for my health and not so much for any other reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment