Me at the Pen 2010

Me at the Pen 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Zombie Novel

It suddenly occurred to me why zombies, werewolves, and vampires are so popular these days. The first generation of goths are now in their thirties and forties. Not only are they reading books and watching scary (albeit kid friendly) movies, but they are also in the business of writing and producing such material. This accounts for zombie and assorted undead lore. Remember Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Blade? Harry Potter? Twilight? The hundred or so zombie novels and zombie tv shows and zombie movies? Scary stuff. Not always. No. There is an entire line of undead romances, literature about loving undead things--gaaak--but I'm sure this comes as no surprise to you unless you've been living under a rock--or maybe it comes as no surprise to you BECAUSE you have been living under a rock. Wink. Wink. I said all of this to say that I'm thinking of writing a zombie novel. But Preston, my god, you're a serious writer. A zombie book? No. Say it isn't so. Ah, but that's because you haven't read it yet. And when you do, keep in mind that I strive for Excellence in all of my work. So don't scoff, my friend. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment